"Eating Behaviour and Evolution": looking for information, pls help
t***@yahoo.co.uk
2004-12-27 00:35:45 UTC
Hello everyone,

I will be doing a presentation on "Eating Behaviour and Evolution" for
my "theories of psychology" course, I'm also writing a paper on the
subject.

I would really apreciate some help with finding information. There is a
lot of information around but it is spread all over a big number of
articles on unrelated topics. I could not find a "core" material that I
could work on. I guess I am also having some trouble with keeping close
to the psychological side of the question; moreover I have little
knowledge of the prior theories on the topic.

I'm interested mainly in the way the role of eating changed with the
evolution of humanity (i.e. how it acquired an increasingly more
important social role, how its social role has changed). I'm as well
interested in the psychological aspects of the evolution of eating
within the life of the individual [ontogenetic], (for example: how
breast-feeding patterns, early or late weaning affect the later life of
the individual).

I will be thankful for any ideas, suggestions, information, sources of
information, even personal opinions that you would submit. Mentions of
any previous studies on the topic, as well as suggestions of directions
to which I could direct my attention will be especially welcome.

If you have the time you can take a look at the topics on which I have
concentrated my efforts till now, so that you can get a better
understanding of what I am looking for:
(the items bulleted with +++ are the subjects on which I need the
information most badly. These are new ideas that are likely to be
productive and that I haven't managed to look through yet)

----eating in primitive and modern societies: differences and
similarities. Are food rituals a thing of the past?

----rituals associated with eating: food sacrifice in primitive
communities, feasts in Middle Ages, divinization of food etc.

----how eating patterns influenced the domination of males or females
in social life, accordingly relative weight of dif. values and the
development of the society as a whole (cultivating--matriarchy,
hunting--patriarchy)

+++relatedly Fritz's theory on armoured, unarmoured cultures. do eating
patterns (determined by natural conditions or other things) contribute
to a culture's developing one way or the other, and respectively to the
ability of a culture to survive competition with nearby cultures?

----cooking and sex-differences today: how women's cooking is perceived
in the West. Cooking as a "subordinate" feminine role. Feminist view on
women's cooking: 'it's not -our- role'; the "macho" reaction: 'don't
exaggerate'. How cooking developed from a feminine role to a feminine
compulsion. the "subordinate" tag. why feminism tacitly accepts it?
internalizing the dominant group's values instead of stating the
equivalence of these values to their own?

----how cooking developed. evolutionary role of cooking (using fire,
cooking killed prey)

+++Eating out: the social role of eating today. Is it a "ritual"? what
is the link between eating and mating anyway???

+++Eating behaviour and acceptance: table manners as a sign of
belongingness to a social class. Acceptance to and exclusion from a
group based on eating habits (table manners and the like). How such a
role of eating evolved.

+++"Elite" eating communities, "elite" eating behaviour, status based
on eating habits or tasting skills. For example: knowing names and
tastes of elite food, eating in elite restaurants, wine experts (only a
wine expert can tell the difference between an authentic old wine and a
fake. arguably the difference in taste is not so big, unlike the
difference in price!). food as luxury ,food and showing off. Any
parallels in primitive comunities???

+++Taboos in eating, origin. Typical structure of such taboos: based on
value judgements. What is their evolutionary role??? Can vegetarianism
in the West be seen in such a light?

+++Relevant parallels of human eating habits with those of (other)
animals.

+++food myths and how a culture's values is reflected in them

Clearly not all these topics will be included in my paper. I'm thinking
of preserving the threads that will prove relevant after searching for
information. I'm pretty confused yet. I have indicated the direction of
my thought on many topics. discussions on these will also be
appreciated.

Thank you.
The Bespelled

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
sci.psychology.research is a moderated newsgroup.
Before submitting an article, please read the guidelines which are posted
here bimonthly or the charter on the web at http://psychcentral.com/spr/
Submissions are acknowledged automatically.
Sheryl at PsychSearching
2005-01-01 20:43:10 UTC
I work as a medical librarian teaching people how to do searches and am
thinking of teaching people in situations like yours as a side job ...
here's how I would start researching your topic ...

I don't know how much you know about research, so forgive me if I
sound patronizing .... PubMed.org is a free online database from the
U.S. government; it covers scholarly articles from the psychological,
medical, psychiatric, social work, fields. The downside is that most
articles from there do not link out to full-text like a lot of things
on the Web do (you use the citations they give you and go to a good,
preferably academic or medical library for that). The upsides are that
it narrows searches to scholarly, authoritative information and it has
subject headings(basically an agreed-upon set of terms to describe the
articles in the database, something the Web does not have.)

One of these terms is called "Feeding Behavior," which they define as
"behavioral responses or sequences associated with eating including
modes of feeding, rhythmic patterns of eating, and time intervals,,"

Here is a link to a PubMed search that limits a search of Feeding
Behavior to articles that focus on the topic, discuss humans, and are
in English. As you can see, there are a lot of results, but you can
combine this term with other terms that you need, as per your list of
topics from above (ie taboos, social class, etc.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

Here is a list of terms from the subject headings that might be helpful
when you combine the terms. You may want to combine Feeding Behavior
with each one separately to get the articles that discuss both terms.
The "formula" for combining the terms should be "Feeding
Behavior"[MAJR] AND "Term from below'[MeSH]. Put this "formula" in the
search box each time and click Go.

"Social Desirability"[MeSH]
"Social Class"[MeSH]
"Taboo"[MeSH]
"Courtship"[MeSH]
"folklore"[MeSH]
"Breast Feeding"[MeSH]

To print the citations that you need, the best thing I could tell you
now would be to click the author's name and print each citation
separately.

This is just a start. Because it is difficult to work with such
complicated questions online, perhaps my best advice would be to go to
a medical/psychological library, your university's library, or,
perhaps, a public library.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Sheryl

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
s***@gmail.com
2005-01-01 20:44:47 UTC
I work as a medical librarian teaching people how to do searches and am
thinking of teaching people in situations like yours as a side job ...

I will tell you how I would start, but because it is difficult to work
with such complicated questions online, my best advice is to go to a
medical library, your university's library, or, as a last resort, a
public library.

PubMed.org is free online from the U.S. government and covers
psychological, medical, psychiatric, social work, fields. The downside
is that most articles from there do not link out to full-text (you can
go to a library for that). The upsides includes that it narrows
searches to scholarly, authoritative information and itt has subject
headings(basically an agreed-upon set of terms to describe the articles
in the database, something the Web does not have.)

One of these terms is called "Feeding Behavior," which they define as
"behavioral responses or sequences associated with eating including
modes of feeding, rhythmic patterns of eating, and time intervals,,"
which seems like it might be the main term that you need ...

Here is a link to PubMed that limits a search of Feeding Behavior to
articles that focus on the topic, discuss humans, and are in English.

Here is a list of terms you may want to combine Feeding Behavior with
to get the articles that discuss both terms. I think it is best to
combine them one at a time. The formula for combining the terms should
be
"Feeding Behavior"[MAJR] AND "Term from below'[MeSH]. Put this term in

Sheryl at PsychSearching
2005-01-02 01:59:14 UTC
I posted by accident and the link to the PubMed search did not work ...
sorry ... here is the link to copy and paste ....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=PureSearch&db=pubmed&details_term=%22Food%20Habits%22%5BMAJR%5D%20OR%20%22Feeding%20Behavior%22%5BMAJR%5D%20AND%20English%5BLang%5D%20AND%20%22humans%22%5BMeSH%20Terms%5D

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
t***@yahoo.co.uk
2005-01-03 19:05:45 UTC
Thank you Sheryl. You've been very helpful indeed. I knew about the
PubMed database but I had no idea about how to search it properly. I
feel "initiated into the secrets of the trade" lol.
and am thinking of teaching people in situations like yours as a
side job ...

It would be a useful side job.
Thank you again. A Happy New Year to you too.
The Bespelled

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`

s***@gmail.com
2005-01-02 01:55:46 UTC
I work as a medical librarian teaching people how to do searches and am
thinking of teaching people in situations like yours as a side job ...

PubMed.org is free online from the U.S. government and covers
psychological, medical, psychiatric, social work, fields. The downside
is that most articles from there do not link out to full-text like a
lot of things on the Web do (you use the citations they give you and go
to a library for that). The upsides are that it narrows searches to
scholarly, authoritative information and it has subject
headings(basically an agreed-upon set of terms to describe the articles
in the database, something the Web does not have.)

One of these terms is called "Feeding Behavior," which they define as
"behavioral responses or sequences associated with eating including
modes of feeding, rhythmic patterns of eating, and time intervals,,"
which seems like it might be the main term that you need ...

Here is a link to PubMed that limits a search of Feeding Behavior to
articles that focus on the topic, discuss humans, and are in English.
As you can see, there are a lot of results, but you can combine this
term with other terms that you need, as per your list of topics from
above (ie taboos, social class, etc.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

Here is a list of terms that I chose by looking at your possible topics
above. You may want to combine Feeding Behavior with each one
separately to get the articles that discuss both terms. The "formula"
for combining the terms should be "Feeding Behavior"[MAJR] AND "Term
from below'[MeSH]. Put this "formula" in the search box each time and
click Go.

"Social Desirability"[MeSH] (can be used for social class)
"Social Class"[MeSH]
"Taboo"[MeSH]
"Courtship"[MeSH]
"folklore"[MeSH]

To print the citation, the easiest thing I could tell you now would be
to click the author's name and print each citation separately.

With all that, this is just a start. Because it is difficult to work