sci.psychology.research article for moderation
John Grohol PsyD
2005-04-13 12:25:41 UTC
--------------030108010009020103070704

Command: approve 1050413022029-6791
# or
Command: reject 1050413022029-6791 default
# or
Command: trash 1050413022029-6791
Subject: Re: Conformity experiment
Newsgroups: sci.psychology.research
I am just about to start planning my first psychological experiment
and am going to try to replicate Ashe's standard line. I am wondering
how to let the group that will be helping me know which questions to
anwser incorrectly without the test subject guessing what is going on.
Do you have any ideas on how I might accomplish that?
Hi. I don't know what is Ashe's standard line. In fact, I know nothing
about psychology, but I was curious about what exactly you're trying
to achieve.
As far as I could tell, you want to let the people who will be working
with you know that some questions (that I assume you will ask) must be
answered wrong.
If I'm correct so far, that is quite easy, but it will depend on your
work, I think. Anyway, if you tell you group previously (can you do
that?) that the questions they must answer wrong are all of the same
pattern, they will probably be able to figure out.
I have no idea what you're questions will be, but let's say you will
ask questions to a group of people and you're trying to figure out how
people's answers affect the answers of people who listen to the
previous answers.
For example, if you ask ``What's the most agressive mammal on Earth?''
and the first, say, 9 people answer ``Wales'', that may make the next
person inclined to answer ``Wales'' as well. But of course, that
depends on each person, obviously.
So, say you want you group to answer ``Humans'' (or any other answer
which isn't Wales), then you can tell them previously that everytime a
question is related to animals, they should answer it in whatever way
you'd like them to. But that excludes animal related questions from
the whole game.
In any case, you can develop a pattern on the questions to let them
know which ones you need their attention. If the questions are for
example, written on paper, then it's even easier.
I hope I wasn't too off the problem.
--------------030108010009020103070704

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<pre wrap="">Command: approve 1050413022029-6791</pre>
<pre wrap="">## Normal actions:

From: "Daniel C. Bastos" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:***@math.utoledo.edu">&lt;***@math.utoledo.edu&gt;</a>
Newsgroups: sci.psychology.research

In article <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:SPR1050406084007-***@psychcentral.com">&lt;SPR1050406084007-***@psychcentral.com&gt;</a>, Jonathan wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">I am just about to start planning my first psychological experiment
[...]

'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
sci.psychology.research is a moderated newsgroup.
Before submitting an article, please read the guidelines which are posted
here bimonthly or the charter on the web at http://psychcentral.com/spr/
Submissions are acknowledged automatically.
John Grohol PsyD
2005-04-13 12:25:59 UTC
--------------020208090401060802040402

Command: approve 1050413020655-1943
Command: approve 1050413020655-1943
# or
Command: reject 1050413020655-1943 default
# or
Command: trash 1050413020655-1943
Subject: Re: need a database or an idea for "evaluating words"? for phd
Newsgroups: sci.psychology.research
hello,
for my thesis i have to simulte cognitive parts on the computer.
One part I have to do is to evaluate hundred of words (for example
death is generally a negative experience so 'death = -0.98'; love is
generally a positive experience do 'love = +0.96'). this is a simple
and stupid example, but it demonstrates the idea.
Okay, let me see if I understand what you say: you want to create a
scoring system for these words, is that correct so far?
BUT ... where and how can I find sources where something else is
already happened? I have no idea if there exists something else and
what the creterias are useful for evaluation (frequency, interviews
...?)
Here I get lost. ``(...) something else is already happened?'' makes
not much sense to me. Perhaps you're asking about work that other
people have already done. Is that it?
If someone has an idea that would be pretty great.
Thanks alot for helping,
Trying to :-)
--------------020208090401060802040402

<head>
</head>
<pre wrap="">Command: approve 1050413020655-1943</pre>

From: "Daniel C. Bastos" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:***@math.utoledo.edu">&lt;***@math.utoledo.edu&gt;</a>
Newsgroups: sci.psychology.research

In article <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:SPR1050411111609-***@psychcentral.com">&lt;SPR1050411111609-***@psychcentral.com&gt;</a>, stephan wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">hello,
for my thesis i have to simulte cognitive parts on the computer.
One part I have to do is to evaluate hundred of words (for example
death is generally a negative experience so 'death = -0.98'; love is
generally a positive experience do 'love = +0.96'). this is a simple
and stupid example, but it demonstrates the idea.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
Okay, let me see if I understand what you say: you want to create a
scoring system for these words, is that correct so far?

</pre>
<pre wrap="">BUT ... where and how can I find sources where something else is
already happened? I have no idea if there exists something else and
what the creterias are useful for evaluation (frequency, interviews
...?)
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
Here I get lost. ``(...) something else is already happened?'' makes
not much sense to me. Perhaps you're asking about work that other
people have already done. Is that it?

</pre>
<pre wrap="">If someone has an idea that would be pretty great.
Thanks alot for helping,
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
Trying to :-)